For contractors and sole traders, juggling financial responsibilities can be a daunting task. To ease this burden, there are numerous resources available, including innovative software solutions like Hnry and more personalised services provided by accountants. We go through the pros and cons of using Hnry versus employing an accountant, so you can make an informed decision for your accounting needs.
The Landscape of Contracting and Sole Trading in New Zealand
Contractors, freelancers, consultants, gig workers, and self-employed individuals, whether working full or part-time, make up around 20% of New Zealand’s workforce. This substantial segment requires tailored financial services.
These individuals not only have to be proficient in their specific fields but also need to manage business-related tasks, including accounting and tax responsibilities.
When embarking on a career as a contractor or sole trader, understanding the nuances of GST and tax payments can be challenging, despite resources provided by the Inland Revenue.
Transitioning from a PAYE system, where tax is deducted at source, to self-managed tax payments often presents an initial hurdle.
Hnry: The Software Solution
- Hnry’s automated functionality handles tax compliance, including GST and income tax payments, saving users time and effort.
- Users can conveniently add expenses directly through the app for tax adjustments.
- The pricing model, 1% of income plus GST (capped at $1,500 plus GST), provides an affordable solution for many contractors and sole traders.
- Hnry users also have access to accounting support staff to resolve any queries or concerns.
- Despite its convenience, Hnry might not be able to provide the personalized advice and strategic financial planning that a traditional accountant can.
- For higher-income individuals, Hnry’s fee structure might be less cost-effective.
- Hnry’s automated approach might not be suitable for complex or unique financial scenarios that require human judgment and interpretation.
The Accountants’ Approach
Accountants usually use software to handle income tax and GST for their clients, whilst offering bespoke advice on budgeting and tax payment timings.
They can guide clients on what expenses can be claimed, offering justifications when certain expenses are not claimable.
Accountants can also assist with broader accounting tasks, and they can work in tandem with Hnry, providing a flexible solution.
- Accountants offer personalised service and in-depth financial advice tailored to individual circumstances.
- They can assist with strategic financial planning and complex tax scenarios, offering a level of expertise beyond Hnry’s automation.
- Accountants can handle a broader range of financial tasks beyond tax and GST payments.
- Accountant fees can be higher, especially for those with lower or inconsistent income.
- They may not be as immediately accessible as an automated system like Hnry.
- Depending on the individual or firm, services may be limited to traditional business hours.
Choosing between Hnry and an accountant primarily depends on personal needs, complexity of financial affairs, and the level of engagement desired in financial management. Hnry is an excellent choice for those favoring a hands-off, automated approach, while accountants are ideal for those requiring personalised, strategic financial guidance. There’s also the flexibility to combine both, utilising Hnry’s automation and an accountant’s expertise, offering a comprehensive financial solution.
Get in touch
Get in touch with the experts at Lighthouse Mortgages to get started.